Court Resumes After Lunch Break: Cross-Examination of Witness TF1-568, Mohamed Kabba Continues

2:30: Court resumed after lunch break and defense counsel Mr. Griffiths continued the cross-examination of Witness TF1-568, Mohamed Kabba.

Radio Operation

Defense counsel asked the witness about various code names by whick Sankoh and Taylor were called during the war. Sankoh, he said was called Lion, Toyota and some other names. Ebony, he said was used to refer to Charles Taylor. The witness was asked to explain several radio terms, like Call Sign, Call Code, Monitoring, and Pre-Arrangement. Defense counsel asked the witness whether he remembers Bockarie giving orders to Superman to kill  CO. Nyaa. The witness agreed with defense counsel that Alice Pyne monitored the radio instruction and that she sent a coded message to CO Nyaa, who was able to escape. The witness explained that there were restricted frequences, to which only the control Station would communicate. One such restricted frequency, was the one used by Sun Light at Taylor’s Mansion ground. The witness agreed with defense counsel that Bockarie did not trust CO. Nyaa and so he gave orders that CO. Nyaa should only monitor radio communications and not send any messages.

Radio Log Book

Defense counsel asked the witness to tell the court what a log book was. The witness explained that it was a book where all radio messages were recorded. The witness agreed that he maintained log books for both Sam Bockarie in Buedu and Issa Sesay in Kono. The witness said that he had radio log books upto the time of the disarmament in Kono. The witness said he lost the radio log book when police officers raided his house on allegations that he was keeping arms and ammunition there. The witness said he was taken to the police station, where he made statements and during which the police seized all the radio sets and log book that he kept home. The witness said he left everythiing with the police. Defense counsel asked the witness whether he told OTP investigators that the log book and radios were seized in Kono. The witness responded that he did not mention that because they did not ask him about that.

Defense counsel refernced the bundle of statements, reading from the portion stating that witness was reimbursed for transport to deliver some documents. The witness responded that he never submitted any documents to OTP. He suggested that somebody might have used his name to get some money but he certainly did not go to him and he did not submit any documents.

Defense counsel asked the witness about his time as radio operator at Bailu Ground, near the Sierra Leone-Liberian border. The witness spoke about filing reports in case there were any attacks from Liberia. The witness agreed that there were threats from ULIMO and that at some pount, ULIMO cut off supply routes to the RUF. He agreed that ULIMO later traded arms and ammunication with the RUF in exchange for money.

The witness said that when the AFRC coup took place in Sierra Leone and the RUF invited to join them, he refused to travel to Freetown because he feared the whole process would not last for long. He said he stayed in Kailahun and that Kenema was the fartherst that he went gto. He could not tell if the rebel and soldiar alliance was called SOBEL.

Court adjourned for the day.