Appeals judges have found that a pre-trial judge made three errors last October when he ordered the interim release of Jean-Pierre Bemba’s four co-accused from International Criminal Court (ICC) detention.
In separate May 29 rulings, the judges reversed two decisions that ordered the interim release of Mr. Bemba, his two former lawyers, and two other associates from court custody. While the Appeals Chamber found that it would not be in the interests of justice to rearrest four of the suspects, given the time that had passed since they were released; it did remand the matter to the trial chamber to determine whether those who were released should be rearrested.
The five accused go on trial this September for corruptly influencing witnesses by giving them money … Continue Reading
The witness and evidence tampering trial of former Congolese opposition leader Jean-Pierre Bemba and his four former associates opens this September at the International Criminal Court (ICC), the court announced today.
Today, judges instructed the prosecution to file a list of evidence to be relied on at trial, as well as a list of witnesses, by June 30, three months ahead of the September 29 trial opening date.
Those to be tried alongside Mr. Bemba include Aimé Kilolo Musamba, former head of the legal team that defended Mr. Bemba in a war crimes trial at the court, and Jean-Jacques Mangenda Kabongo, previously the case manager on that defense team. They also include a former defense witness and a member of the Congolese … Continue Reading
Appeals judges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) have rejected Congolese opposition leader Jean-Pierre Bemba’s appeal for interim release.
In a unanimous decision, a summary of which was issued in court this morning, the appeals chamber agreed with trial judges that Mr. Bemba should remain in detention pending the verdict of his trial for war crimes and crimes against humanity.
Mr. Bemba has been in detention in The Hague since 2008, following his arrest in Belgium, where he maintains a residence, and transfer to the court.
Last December, trial judges declined to release him on bail, saying this was to ensure his appearance at trial. They argued that the end of the presentation of evidence phase of the proceedings and commencement of deliberations was … Continue Reading
Jean-Pierre Bemba and his former lawyers with whom he faces an impending trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC) are wary that their communications are still under surveillance at the behest of the prosecution.
However, the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP) has denied that the communications of Mr. Bemba, his former lead defense counsel Aime Kilolo Musamba, and case manager Jean-Jacques Mangenda Kabongo, are still being monitored. The prosecution also said there was no ongoing monitoring of the communications of former defense witness Narcisse Arido and Congolese parliamentarian Fidèle Babala Wandu.
The five individuals are due to go on trial later this year for corruptly influencing witnesses who testified in the trial of Mr. Bemba, a former vice president of Congo whose … Continue Reading
The International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor intends to call 11 witnesses to testify against Jean-Pierre Bemba and his four former associates on charges of witness and evidence tampering. However, trial judges have suggested this number is too high and that the trial needs to “begin and proceed immediately.”
During a status conference held today, prosecution lawyer Kweku Vanderpuye stated that the 11 witnesses they intended to call included three expert witnesses.
According to defense lawyers for the five accused persons, all the material related to the prosecution’s witnesses should be disclosed in “sufficient time” to allow them to analyze the evidence and conduct their own investigations. The prosecution said it had completed 90 to 95 percent of disclosures.
Taking into account written and oral submissions made by … Continue Reading
A second trial for Jean Pierre Bemba at the International Criminal Court (ICC) is now imminent after the court’s Presidency named judges to try the Congolese opposition leader and his four associates. Trial Chamber VII was constituted after a pre-trial judge rejected their bid to appeal the confirmation of charges decision.
Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji will preside over the trial of the five individuals accused of corruptly influencing witnesses that testified in Mr. Bemba’s trial for war crimes and crimes against humanity at the ICC. The other judges that make up the chamber are Olga Herrera Carbuccia and Robert Fremr.
Last November, the pre-trial chamber found that there were reasonable grounds to believe that Mr. Bemba, his two former lawyers Aimé Kilolo Musamba … Continue Reading
Jean-Pierre Bemba has taken his bid for interim release from International Criminal Court (ICC) detention to the appeals chamber after trial judges rejected his application to be freed on bail just before Christmas Day.
Mr. Bemba, the leader of the Movement for the Liberation of Congo (MLC), has been in detention in The Hague since 2008. He had requested to be freed provisionally either to Portugal or Belgium for the period of the deliberations prior to rendering of a judgement on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity. Alternatively, he appealed for release for the period of the judicial winter recess and during the weekends prior to rendering of the judgement.
However, in their ruling last December 23, judges determined that there … Continue Reading
Defense lawyers have implored judges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) to acquit Jean-Pierre Bemba, stating that the prosecution failed to prove its allegations against the former Congolese opposition leader.
In closing oral remarks at the court in The Hague, lead defense lawyer Peter Haynes said the prosecution’s evidence was “selective, narrow,” and “unfair” and added that if Mr. Bemba is convicted, countries would find it difficult to offer military assistance to others however righteous the cause might be.
Prosecutors charge that Mr. Bemba as commander-in-chief of the Movement for the Liberation of Congo (MLC) militia bears responsibility for the murder, rape, and pillaging his soldiers committed during a conflict in the Central African Republic (CAR) in 2002 and 2003. The soldiers … Continue Reading
Today, the prosecution at the International Criminal Court (ICC) made a final plea to judges to convict former Congolese vice president Jean-Pierre Bemba for the rape, murder, and looting committed by his troops in 2002 and 2003.
Prosecution lawyers recounted gang-rapes of women and men in public view, murders “in pursuance of an organizational policy” to brutalize civilians, and the looting of goods that were sold on behalf Mr. Bemba’s commanders. The crimes were allegedly committed in the Central African Republic (CAR).
According to the prosecution, as commander-in-chief of the Movement for the Liberation of Congo (MLC), Mr. Bemba bears responsibility for failing to prevent or to punish his soldiers who committed the crimes. Mr. Bemba’s MLC troops were sent to the CAR … Continue Reading
Next week, International Criminal Court (ICC) judges will hear the closing oral arguments in the trial of former Congolese vice president Jean-Pierre Bemba, who has been on trial at the world court since 2010.
The trial is focused on Mr. Bemba’s alleged failure to control or punish his Movement for the Liberation of Congo (MLC) soldiers who committed rape, murder, and pillaging. It heard the testimony of 34 defense witnesses, 40 prosecution witnesses, and one witness called by judges. The trial also heard the testimony of two victims. In October 2014, judges also recalled a prosecution witness, who originally testified in July 2011, to provide evidence on alleged payments by the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP) in exchange for the testimonies of … Continue Reading